Saturday 5 May 2012

The beat regulator on a French clock

Although they are delicate to repair, I always tell my friends and anyone who wants to listen that French clocks are all the same. They seem to have been made by one and the same cookie cutter, or rather French clock cutter.

However, working on my 90-year old aunt's clock revealed two novelties for me. First the crutch has a rather clever horizontal lever sticking out to the left (see picture below) with which one can regulate the beat of the clock.


Getting a clock into beat by bending the crutch I still find a difficult operation until this day, as I my intuition never seems to guess the direction right into which to bend the crutch. I know this is not a job necessarily suited for the intuition, but having asked my brain for the answer several times now, it always gives me the wrong answer. So, my aunt's clock has this clever horizontal "beat regulator" attached to the bottom of the crutch. You simply twist the knob at the end of the device left or right and hear what it does to the beat until you get it precisely to your liking.

The second oddity I found with this clock, which is not as helpful a device as the beat regulator, is a pillar pin that does not fall over the back plate of the movement but into it. They must have decided that the pillar could not protrude through the movement far enough to fit a pin through that would rest on the back plate. That then left as only option to push the pin through the end of the pillar and into the plate. Neat and never seen before.

No comments:

Post a Comment